Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Rush & Struggle & Guilt, OH MY!

June 6, 2014

It seems today has been a "do nothing day."  Although it really hasn't been.  Sometimes when we are working on one group of things it feels like NOTHING is getting accomplished.  This is probably because I am married to a visual person and have adapted my life accordingly.  School has happened, even though the student hasn't felt all that great.  I know the hubby will understand but I still feel that pressure.  All moms feel it from one time to another.  I was raised with images of June Cleaver (oops! giving away my age there) having dinner on the stove and a martini (iced tea in our case) in hand when the conquering hero returns.  Oh, but wait!  She didn't home school!

I have not always been a stay-home mom.  I still vividly remember the rush to the store, rush home, rush to get dinner done (or pick up take out), the rush through homework, the rush to clean up, then the rush to clean them up.  Saturdays spent catching up on heavy cleaning, laundry, yard work, and repair lists.  Sundays, struggle to get up, struggle to be there on time, struggle to focus on worship and sermon, struggle with the guilt of neglecting Him.

When we decided to school at home I was still in that mindset.  Rush & Struggle & Guilt, OH MY!  You'd think I would have shaken all that off.  Somehow I have to redefine who/what I am.  Um...yes I'm a little slow in this department.  I was raised by a working mom, and that's all I know.  So I look around me for examples.  Ann Voskamp, Michelle Duggar, and a host of ladies around me.  Very dizzying!  I feel like Goldilocks.  This one's too harsh, this one's too soft, where's the just right?  I'm still looking for it, but at least I know Christ the teacher is a sure bet.  As I make lesson plans, look at my undecorated house, and uncooperative teen; I know I am not alone in this.  So I'll save my measuring stick for crafts and get myself back to work. 

One benefit of home schooling is that we can change things around as needed.  Today we immersed ourselves in Macbeth because the student doesn't feel well.  Still learning, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxGnGrtfzoU

Feel free to suggest a better version.  I chose this one for my Tolkienite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While I enjoy your feedback, all comments are subject to moderation.